Sunday, December 13, 2009

911 what is your EMERGENCY?

I recieved a call from a frantic woman who advised me she babysits for kids and a mother dropped off her 5 year old son at about 530 in the am - I recieved the call at about 8 in the morning. The child was cold to the touch and not breathing. I immediately went into disaster mode as I was sure I had a bad call - got the units rolling and asked if anyone knew cpr. She didn't, I advised her I would talk her through it while the units were responding to her as is our policy. CPR is Cardio Pulminary Resuscitation which we are all trained in. I advised the caller to get the child on the floor to start CPR. Then I heard a male voice in the background and asked who was that, thinking the crew certainly hasn't arrived yet. She told me that was her husband. I asked to put him on the line because I felt the female I was talking to was not working fast enough to try and save this little 5 year old boy. He got on the phone and I asked if he knew CPR. He asked for what? I said you have a 5 year old boy not breathing. Just then I heard the sirens and thought oh good they are arriving on scene. The husband advised me there was no child there. When the crews finally came inside, they gave the Luitenant the phone. I quickly learned that the "babysitter" was what we call Signal 20, which means not quite right in her mind, and the "child" was actually a leather couch that had been cold to the touch! People check out who you have watching your kids and hopefully they are qualified!

1 comment:

  1. Quote from Becca after reading this: "I make that mistake all the time. They do look the same..."
    Keep 'em coming! I love it!

    ReplyDelete